The concept of renovation insurance is rare in India, which is why it is important that you pay extra attention to the safety measures been taken by your contractor, both for the safety of your house as well as the labor on site whose health and safety is most often ignored. Here are some pointers on how to stay vigilant.
- Don’t allow smoking during construction.
- Remove combustible debris from site everyday.
- Provide fire extinguishers.
- Store paints, solvents and combustible material safely.
- Also dispose of solvent stained cloth safely.
- Make sure that the labor is wearing protective gear: helmets, face masks, gloves etc.
- Keep the air clean: painting, sanding, adhesives etc. cause toxic fumes which should never be inhaled.
- Keep the fan on and try and do as much of the work outdoors as possible.
- Insist on keeping children (yours or anyone else’s) away from the construction, same for pets.
Feel free to suggest any other safety tips you have in mind, in the comment section.