Weddings are a good time to plan your home renovations. You may want to add an extra room or storage space to accommodate a new person’s belongings, and make a few more additions to make your spouse comfortable. Here are some changes we recommend while you plan your renovation.
Start Pinterest board together (e.g. http://ow.ly/YswK4) This way you can get a sense of each others design sensibilities and go through the tough task of shortlisting designs for your home before getting started on site.
- Extra storage units: You may want to add an extra cupboard or cabinets to store clothes and other belongings when you get married. You may want to mount a full length mirror on the cupboard or on a swivel, with the swivel revealing shelves and hooks- ideal for your belts, bags and scarves. Position a low chest of drawers at the foot of your bed and use it to store your bed linen. Think vertically, adding shelving to walls and possibly extending them to the ceiling.
- The master Bedroom: Look for Bedroom design ideas to help you put together the perfect bedroom to welcome your life partner home. Apart from adding storage, you may want to shift to a bigger bed and add a dresser or walk-in closet to it. Ensure you have a dedicated bathroom attached to the room. You should also look at adding more plug points to the room as the number of chargeable devices would increase once you get married.
- The Bathroom: Bathroom designs can be tricky to implement. If you have the space, you could go in for his and her sinks. You could also add a tub or a Jacuzzi. If you don’t feel the need to include a bathtub; you can use that extra space for a large storage cabinet instead. Walk-in showers are also popular but bathtub with shower combos offer the best of both worlds. If space is a constraint, wall-mounted cabinets and medicine cabinets are helpful too.
- The Kitchen: You should look for modular kitchen ideas to add style to the belly of your home. Opt for open shelves instead of upper cabinets to provide display space and make a small kitchen feel larger. The most popular kitchen upgrade one can do before getting married is installing new state of the art energy-efficient appliances, such as a dual-fuel range with double convection ovens, a high-tech range hood, an energy star certified refrigerator and a water-saving paneled dishwasher.
- Living Room: If at least one of you is a movie buffs, you may want a separate living room with a TV installed, to snuggle in and watch a late night flick. This space should ideally be separate from a formal drawing room that isn’t prim and proper all the time.
- Another Bedroom: A spare bedroom is always good to have since guests visiting tend to increase after you’re married. Additionally, it could come in handy down the road when you start planning your own family. More so you can always benefit from the extra storage in this room, since there will almost certainly not be enough.
Gone are the days when bathrooms were the most neglected spots in the house. Now days, one can notice a paradigm shift in the way most basic utility items are being designed and offered within a reasonable budget. Bathrooms are a place for relaxation and rejuvenation; they are zones where people spend much needed ‘me’ time. If you are planning to renovate your bathroom, here’s a quick primer on some of the major bathroom fittings out there today. It’ll help you start to figure out what kinds of products you like.
Sinks or Washbasins
- Bowl or Vessel Sink: These stylish sink bowls are placed on the counter, and give a simplistic uncluttered look to the bathroom.
- Corner Sink: These sinks help maximize space in small bathrooms, and bring corners to good use.
- Vanity Top Sinks: These sinks have a sunken bowl and are available in different shapes eg: Circle, Oval and Rectangle etc.
Toilet / WC / Commode
While you can certainly find some fancy WCs in our earlier blog post, here are some neat and simple ones you wouldn’t have to hunt for.
- Wall Mounted WC: The biggest advantage of having a wall-mounted WC is that you can adjust and install it basis your height and comfort. Plus, water and dirt doesn’t stagnate in the crevices.
- Concealed Cistern WC: Most of the latest WC designs involve a concealed cistern, housed in the wall behind.
- Conventional WC: Even the conventional WCs come in sleek and modern designs to add to the simplicity of the bathroom.
- Bathtub: Soak in luxury today with the perfect tub for your bathroom. A decorative bathtub can be the centerpiece for any bathroom. A tub shower combo also offers the luxury of both together, if you do not have the space for a separate shower area in the bathroom.
- Jacuzzi: Jacuzzis are wonderful stress relievers and they take relaxation to a whole new level. You can easily soak in your worries in the Jacuzzi, feeling fresh physically and mentally.
- Shower Enclosures: They are quite beautiful and can even be custom made to meet your requirements. The best part of shower enclosure is, it keeps the rest of the bathroom floor dry as the water and steam stay inside.
- Open Bath Area within the Bathroom: Open Bath Areas are best for small bathrooms, as they make the bathroom look spacious and add versatility and visual aesthetics to it.
- Shower head: Most of these have water adjustment options. If you want a hard jet or a soft drizzle, just turn the shower head and get it going.
- Hand Shower: Most shower panels have an option for hand showers too, for a comfortable bath.
- Rain Shower: Experience the Sensation of Soothing Rain with a rainfall shower head. You can make every shower a luxurious spa-like experience with these.
- Ceiling Shower: This is the next generation showerhead that literally looks like a chandelier for your bathroom.
There are a lot more options available for bathrooms these days. While we will keep updating this list, do share any others that come to your mind.