With Diwali round the corner, many of you must be wanting to get a fresh coat of color on your walls. Here are some tips to keep in mind and some ideas.
Tips to keep in mind before you get your house painted:
- Light colors work everywhere, but if you are planning dark colored walls, you must ensure the room gets lots of natural light. Painting a basement den deep blue might sound relaxing but can turn the room into a dungeon!
- If you are tech savvy, you could take pictures of the rooms in question and get them in desired color to show everyone what the walls would look like.
- Complementary colors work well when adjacent rooms open into each other (try two shades of the same color for a neat effect). You can go for bold contrast when crossing a barrier (like a door).
- Carefully consider the gloss level. The shiny gloss paints are easy to clean, but make blemishes stand out. On the other hand, flat paints help disguise wall blemishes but can be difficult to clean.
- Glossier paints work well where there’s lots of steam or cooking (bathrooms and kitchens) and in high-traffic areas. Flatter paints are preferred for large walls and ceilings.
- Plan your interiors accordingly. Dark and bright colors look good on clutter free walls, whereas light and flat colors go well with all colors and help balance out the clutter.
- You could also go in for textured walls. In fact highlighting one wall in a room may be a good idea. Just ensure that the wall has a single highlight, a TV or a painting or one element complimenting it.
Interested in a DIY herringbone pattern feature wall ? check out this post