If you’re starting to plan your renovation, here’s a starting checklist which will help you get off the ground and also help you plan the early phases of getting your project off the ground.
- List out your scope of work so you don’t forget when talking to a designer/contractor
- Meet 2 contractors and get quotes
- Think about where you will store all your stuff (if any) in the rooms/apartment you plan to renovate
- Think about where you will stay during the renovation
- Pick a tentative budget, keeping something aside for décor and furniture, after you have a rough estimate of what things cost (for which you can use the BuildingBlox estimator)
- Identify what you want to retain in the existing home, this could be furniture, flooring, woodwork, doors, windows, electrical wiring etc. this will help you remove these items from the budget and get a more reasonable quote.
- Determine the goals of the project (e.g. increase storage, modernize space). This will allow for a meaningful discussion with your team, as well as prioritize decisions
- Browse the internet for room design ideas; this will help in creating the final look and feel of your space
- Think of a color palette; pick a primary color for the room and some complimentary colors to match