We like rains. What we don’t like is damp walls, smelly carpets and the fear of termites. So we thought why not give our readers what would help them the most at this time of the year – “Home Maintenance Tips for a Happy Monsoon”
At times the best solution to a problem is to avoid the problem itself. You cannot avoid monsoons but you can avoid its side effects that affect your house.
Here are few things that you must consider as the monsoon is almost knocking at the door.
Monsoons are a good time for maintenance and not enhancements
- Try to minimize moisture in the house by exposing rooms to more sunlight, using dehumidifiers and air conditioners.
- Exposing upholstery and rugs to sunlight to minimize overall moisture in the house.
- Ensuring cross ventilation to keep the rooms dry during rainy weather.
- Not painting/polishing the furniture as it would affect the outer surface of your furniture.
- If you have wooden flooring, getting it waxed would be a good idea.
- Avoid furniture near the windows to protect them from rain water.
Renovations and Monsoons don’t go well together
- Do not underestimate the smallest of the cracks. It would be a good idea to patch them up at the earliest.
- Get the window and door frames water-tight.
- Do not neglect the terrace. The terraces must be sloped between 1:100 to 1:150 towards the rain-water outlets.
- It would be a good idea to waterproof the horizontal surfaces and install proper rainwater pipes.
Walls need some extra care periodically to withstand monsoons. Rain water tends to seep through the walls because of the capillary action that takes place through walls, shafts and construction joints.
Hence, one needs to paint the exterior of the building every 5 years. If you are yet to do so, plan it now. Use waterproof emulsions that are available.
Engage professionals, an architect or structural engineer to check for structural weaknesses every four to six years.
Hope these tips are useful.
We at BuildingBlox ensure that you are always delivered with best of advice and products for your construction needs.